ROVAS RAIL & Namibia Safari TOUR
MAY 7 - 15, 2017
PRICE FROM $4175.00
- PRICE PER PERSON
- meals and excusions
- all beverages incl. alcohol, while on board
- bottled water
- a limited wine selection during lodge meals
PRETORIA TO SWAKOPMUND
This nine-day 3 400-kilometre journey takes the train from the savannahs of the Highveld to the Atlantic in the west. Departing from Pretoria, the first stop is Kimberley, centre of one of the world’s famous diamond rushes where there is an opportunity to savour the 1870s atmosphere of the mine village. The train traverses the stark vistas of the Northern Cape to the Fish River Canyon – second in size to the Grand Canyon – and Garas Park with its Quiver Tree Forest and the Giant’s Playground. Guests continue across the untamed beauty of the Kalahari Desert to Namibia’s capital for a tour; Windhoek is a lively, cosmopolitan city with a strong German flavour. Then it’s a short flight to Sossusvlei, a stunning pan in the Namib Desert, for an overnight stay followed by a night in the game-rich Etosha National Park. On the last morning, the train travels the Namib to the perfectly preserved 19th-century German Hansa town of Swakopmund and Walvis Bay – an unforgettable end to a remarkable journey.
15h00 Depart Rovos Rail Station in Pretoria and travel south towards the goldfields of the Witwatersrand.
(Breakfast 07h00-10h00 • Lunch 13h00 • Tea 16h30 • Dinner 19h30)
- 09h45 Arrive Kimberley for Big Hole and Diamond Museum
- 12h30 Depart for Upington and travel the Karoo semi-desert.
- 08h00 Optional two-hour walking tour of Upington
- 23h00 Arrive at Holoog after border formalities at Nakop
- 08h00 One-hour transfer to visit the Fish River Canyon.
- 11h00 Depart for Keetmanshoop. Traverse the Kalahari.
- 15h00 Visit Garas Park (Quiver Tree Forest/Giant’s Playground).
- 09h00 Arrive in Windhoek for a city tour.
- 11h00 Depart in light aircraft for 1-hour flight to Sossusvlei Lodge for lunch, desert drive, bush dinner and overnight.
- 06h00 Sossusvlei drive with breakfast in the vlei.
- 12h00 Depart Sossusvlei for one-hour flight to Windhoek.
- 14h00 Depart Windhoek and travel north towards the game-rich Etosha National Park.
- 09h30 Transfer to a lodge in the Etosha National Park for lunch, game drive and overnight.
- 06h00 Early morning game drive in the Etosha National Park.
- 13h00 Enjoy lunch on board en route to the Atlantic.
07h00 Enjoy breakfast as the train traverses the Namib.
12h30 Arrive at journey’s end in Walvis Bay, Namibia.
- 07h00 Enjoy breakfast as the train traverses the Namib.
- 12h30 Arrive at journey’s end in Walvis Bay, Namibia.
- Kimberley Big Hole and Diamond Mine Museum
- Kalahari Desert
- Fish River Canyon
- Windhoek, capital of Namibia
- Sossusvlei – largest sand dunes
- Desert dinner and bush drive
- Etosha National Park and game lodge
- Etosha Pan
- Namib Desert